Saturday, January 30, 2010

Special Pick Box Feature Aids in Variable Fees

This past week I converted the City of Fostoria from ZP 32 to ZP SQL. As it turns out they are the first case I have converted that had used the variable fees option for Zoning permits in ZP 32. That feature was dropped in ZP SQL because I reasoned that formula scripts could handle those fees just as well, and as far as the fee calculation that is true. What I didn't account for, however, was the way the old variable fee feature let you pick fee choices from a list of options. I wanted that same ease of use in ZP SQL. The solution I came up with is to add a Special Pick Box feature to ZP SQL. This is a Pick Box screen that can be called from any script. You simply add a line of code to the script that calls the Pick Box and passed it the list to use as choices. It returns the selected item which you can then copy to any available field. I have added a new tutorial to the ZP SQL Documents section of the Tutorial page in our web site that shows how I used this feature in Fostoria's case. The newest version of the ZP SQL demo also uses this option for the "Sewer" Zoning permit type.

No comments:

Post a Comment